In Numbers 21:4-9 we
read about the fiery serpents
that plagued the Israelites when they murmured in
the wilderness and spoke against God and against Moses, the
prophet. These serpents were deadly, and the people finally realized
that they had sinned and the serpents were their call to repentance. They asked
Moses to pray to the Lord to take away the serpents. The Lord provided a way
for the people to be healed from the serpents so that they could learn instead
of just taking the problem away. Moses took a brass serpent and put it on a
pole, so that anyone who was bitten by a serpent could look to be healed. There were people who did not believe that looking at this serpent could save them from the bite of the very real serpent. Because it was so easy, they did not look and died. (1 Nephi 17:41)
The Lord wanted to teach His people about
Christ. The brass serpent was a type of Christ. All the Israelites had to
do was look up and see the serpent on top of the pole and believe that they would be saved and they would be. Today, we have to believe that Christ will be able to heal us before we will be healed. We have to put our trust in Him. By relying on the Savior to be healed, we allow Him to mend our broken hearts, ease our pains and afflictions, He can ease our guilt and sorrows. Many people try to heal themselves without the help of the Savior. They do everything that they can on their own and still are not healed. In the world, many people try to drown out their pain with alcohol or other addictions, including TV and other technology.
We are very much like the Israelites, because it seems so easy to look to Christ and believe in Him, we don't always looked to be saved. We try to do it on our own, rely on science and our own ability, when we cannot make it without His help. One thing that can help heal us is service. Losing yourself by helping someone else can make your problems seem smaller, as well as bringing you closer to those you serve.
I was angry for so long, mad at someone who I perceived as being in the wrong and hurting me. This anger festered in me for years until I was able to take my hurt and my pain to my Father in Heaven. Finally I was able to give up my anger and give it to Christ and let His love fill my heart instead. It has enabled me to forgive my friend and to work on rebuilding my relationship with them. Had I turned to the Savior sooner, I would have been able to give up my pain and not have wasted years in anger. By relying on the Savior, you can truly find peace. This is not just a temporary peace, it is a lasting peace. He truly can heal you.
1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?
2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.
3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.


No comments:
Post a Comment